Sunday, December 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Grampa!

My dad turned 60 years old yesterday! Happy Birthday Dad!
I am pretty close to my dad. I gave him a few gray hairs growing up, okay maybe more than just a few, but I have a lot of respect for my dad.
I planned a party for him at our house lastnight. Unfortunately it fizzled out due to family drama and sick kids... but I hope he had a good night. We had a baked potato bar for supper. We loved having my parents out for dinner. We were able to visit since the boys were still napping... at 6:30pm. They were pretty tuckered out!
But they woke up in time for cake and ice cream. Thats my boys!!!!
Here are some pictures from the night!
Yes that is Jake licking his plate clean!
Here is just a few of the things I admire about my dad....
1. He always provided for his family. Most of the years growing up I remember him working two jobs.
2. He was a strict dad. We all knew the rules growing up, and we knew the consequences.
3. He always pushed us in education. If there was anything he focused on education was it.
4. He is protective. I am nearly 30 years old, and he is still protective of me and my family.
5. He is a very giving dude. He has helped us out on several occasions. He has let me use his truck for a few days at a time to waterski, and wasn't too mad when his back seat was covered in Magellan's hair.
6. He is a true GI Joe. The man served in the military for over 30 years. He served in Vietnam. He has great respect for his country, and our armed forces. He taught me to respect our police, fire, and servicemen from an early age.
7. He is a hard worker! DUDE, the man can work. He taught me the value of hard work at an early age. I remember several occasions as a kid where he would take me to work with him. He would have me get his tools and hold the flashlight for him as he worked on Apache helicopters, and airplanes at Majestic Airlines.
8. He loves his grand kids. When JS was just a little dude, and I was still working, my dad would pick him up on his way home from work and spend the afternoon with him. All the grandkids love their Grandpa.
9. He taught me to always respect my mom.
10. He taught me the value of a nice car! Just before I turned 17 my dad cosigned on my first car for me. He taught me a lot with that car. He would always work on the car for me, but I was always expected to help since it was my car! He taught me how to change the oil, change the battery etc. He also taught me at an early age the importance of rotation of your tires, and keeping your oil changed every 3k miles. Now I am just like him!
There are so many things I could list right now, but I will just sum it up by saying this....
LOVE YOU DAD!

1 comment:

Joni said...

Please tell him happy birthday for us!