Sunday, July 5, 2009

Do you Ever???

Here's the question...
Do you ever look at your kids and think... How in the Stars did you get so BIG???
Yesterday as we were hanging out with friends I looked over at Jaker and thought, holy cow you are HUGE!!!! Not just in size either. He is huge in spirit, in maturity, in intellect... he is getting so SMART!!!! I am so ultra proud of him!
Lastnight was of course the 4th of July. Anyone who knows my little Jaker knows he doesn't do well with Fireworks. When I say he doesn't do well, I mean... HE REALLY DOESN'T DO WELL! Last year we were in Steamboat Springs at a Rodeo for the 4th of July. The fireworks were AMAZING! Where was Jaker? Curled up in a ball in my lap, burying his face in my chest, head covered up with my sweatshirt (it was chilly), covered again with another layer of daddy's sweatshirt, all the while shaking in absolute fear, crying and just begging to go home.
This year... He did pretty good. Does he love fireworks. NOPE! Does he want to light them??? NOPE! Does he like watching the display in the sky??? That's is an absolute HECK NO!!! However, he did maintain composure. He was calm. He asked politely to leave, but didn't have a meltdown. He sat with dad or I and watched them, pointed out the colors, and overall observed the fireworks, for about 25 minutes... then he decided he was DONE! Huge improvements! I am so proud of him!
I look at both of the boys, and I am so proud of them. They are so much alike but so DIFFERENT too! They look alike, they like the same things (particularly any toy that the other child has in his hands at the moment) , they love their daddy like he is a SUPER HERO, and they love me too... most of the time! But at the same time their reactions to things are so opposite. Jokester has no problem with commotion. I honestly think he tries to cause it just to be funny. Jaker on the other hand... would prefer to have a quiet setting. Jaker gets heartbroken if you reprimand or discipline... Jokester thinks it is funny...
Moral of the story.... I definitely have my hands full!

No comments: