Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Flustered....

I have to say I am at my wit's end. My kids won't eat! They won't eat anything I make unless it is Peanut Butter and Jelly, Mini Corn Dogs, or Beef Enchiladas, other than that they turn their nose up to everything! You would honestly think I am feeding them dog food or something by the way they behave. What do I do?
I am losing patience. I worry about their nutrition. Let's face it, the kids can only eat so much McDonalds, and Burger King, before they started becoming FAT!
The only somewhat healthy stuff they will eat is Applesauce, Granola Bars, Cheese Sticks and wheat bread. Not exactly a balanced diet! I don't know what to do to get them to eat a meal. Any suggestions... come on, I am DESPERATE HERE!!!

2 comments:

Breezy said...

Here is advice from a parenting book I have been reading, "When eating becomes a battle with children, it's because the parents are too pushy...One key to good nutrition is preparing well-balanced meals...Emphasize that trying things is good. Acknowledge that not everyone will like the same thing, but everyone needs to try it. Don't force children to finish what's on their plat...Also make it clear that when dinner's over, it's over. There's no going for the snacks in the cabinet an hour afterward." (Dr. Kevin Leman, "Have a New Kid by Friday") I have been using this advice with my kids and it has worked, my girls are trying things and eating a little more variety, it has also made meal time less stressful. Good Luck!

Swain Family said...

We have a rule at our house that you have to try things at least one bite if you don't like it you don't have to finish it. Sometimes it's a battle with Kennedy and she ends up in her room for a little while. Chloe we don't fully enforce it yet I feel like she is still pretty young. Good luck it is very frustrating.